CHILD CARE ASSISTANCE
Child care assistance can be used to subsidize the cost of daycare and before-/after-school care. Assistance is provided on a first-come, first-served basis and funds are paid directly to state-licensed child care providers.
To qualify for child care assistance:
- Student must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and have unmet financial need
- Student must be the legal parent or guardian of the child(ren) for whom assistance is requested
- Student must be enrolled at least part-time (6 credit hours) in a degree or certificate program at Nashville State
At least 50% of the student’s classes must be on campus (student cannot receive child care assistance if they are enrolled in more than 50% of their courses online)
- **Please note: In response to COVID-19, the on campus coursework requirement to qualify for child care assistance has been temporarily suspended. Students enrolled in online or virtual courses will be eligible to apply for and receive assistance until regular on campus course scheduling resumes.**
- Student’s child(ren) must be 12 years old or younger
- If requesting child care assistance for child(ren) age 5 or younger, student must also apply for child care payment assistance from the Tennessee Department of Human Services and provide documentation regarding the status of the application
- Student’s child(ren) must be enrolled with a child care provider that is licensed by the Tennessee Department of Human Services
- Student is responsible for securing placement for their child(ren) with the licensed child care provider
- Student must provide documentation from the provider that 1) verifies child(ren)’s enrollment, and 2) states the daily, weekly, or monthly rate charged for care
Child care assistance is provided according to the following formula (amounts listed indicate maximum assistance per semester):
|Enrollment Status||Number of Children Needing Care / Maximum Assistance Provided|
|Part time (6-11 credit hours)||1 child = $350
2 children = $700
3+ children = $1,050
|Full time (12+ credit hours)||1 child = $700
2 children = $1,400
3+ children = $2,100
Students participating in the program who successfully complete at least 75% of each semester’s coursework and otherwise comply with the terms of the program will be eligible to request child care assistance during the following semester.
Previously awarded students who maintain eligibility will be required to complete a new application each semester but will be given first priority. Students can receive child care assistance for a maximum of five semesters.
Students who qualify and apply for child care assistance but are not approved due to limits on available funding will be placed on a waiting list in the order in which applications are received.
Please note that due to funding restrictions, there are limits to the support we can provide each semester.
- Child care assistance is not available during the summer semester.
- The program does not cover child care registration or enrollment fees, health assessment or immunization fees, or other child care costs not associated with daily/weekly/monthly charges for enrollment.
- If a student drops below the 6 credit hour minimum,
drops below the 50% on-campus course rate,or withdraws from classes entirely, they will be removed from the program.
Have questions about the Child Care Assistance Program? Contact Michelle Joyner in the Foundation office.
Need financial assistance with child care? Please complete the application for assistance.